WHAT IS 4-H?
4-H is the largest out of school youth organization in the United States with over 7 million youth members! Extension Offices staff and are responsible for 4-H programs in every county and city. Whether you live in a city, suburb or rural area, there's something for you in 4-H.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Ohio 4-H membership is based on a child's age and grade as of January 1 of the current project year. Eligibility for Cloverbud participation begins when a child is enrolled in Kindergarten and is five years old. Eligibility for participation in 4-H projects and competitive events begins when a child is age 8 and in the 3rd grade. Any youth age 9 or above is eligible for project membership, regardless of grade level. Membership requires enrollment in an authorized Ohio 4-H club or group under the direction of an OSU Extension professional or an approved adult volunteer. A youth’s 4-H eligibility ends December 31 the year he or she turns 19. Joining Ohio 4-H is a privilege and responsibility for individuals and is subject to the Ohio 4-H Code of Conduct and applicable policies of The Ohio State University. Accommodations can be made for youth with disabilities through our Winning 4-H Plan.
HOW DO I JOIN?
1. Click here for a list of current Miami County 4-H Clubs. Call the O.S.U. Extension Office at 937-440-3945 to get the contact’s phone number.
2. Look for a club that meets in a place and time that works with your family’s schedule.
3. If your child will be a Cloverbud (age 5 and enrolled in Kindergarten as of January 1), be sure to select a club that has members within your child’s age range.
4. Decide what kind of projects your child plans to take, and look for a club that would be a good fit for your child’s project choice.
5. Contact the club leader for more detailed club information. Ask about member participation/attendance requirements, club dues and fundraising, meeting schedule, club size, what kind of involvement is expected of parents/guardians, and any other questions you may have. Visit one of the club’s meetings or activities.
6. Once you have found a club that is a good fit for your family, ask about enrolling as a new member. Complete enrollment online using using the Family Enrollment Guide. If you have any questions, please contact O.S.U.Extension, Miami County at 937-440-3945.
WHEN SHOULD I SIGN UP?
Join anytime! However, to take advantage of all 4-H opportunities – including participation in Jr. Fair – join by the Miami County 4-H club enrollment deadline, the last Friday in March (March 27, 2020).
WHAT DOES IT COST?
The Miami County activity fee is $10 per member (per club). The minimum project book fee is $6 with additional costs for supplies, equipment, resource guides, etc.
WHAT IF I LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTY?
Youth are expected to affiliate with the 4-H program in their county of residence. However, in some circumstances, it is appropriate for a youth to participate in a county other than their county of residence. This can be done with the approval of the 4-H professionals in both the county of residence and the county of request. The request for cross county membership must be made 30 days prior to the 4-H membership deadline of the county being requested. Click here for further information regarding 4-H Membership Across County Lines.