Quality Assurance Test-Out Option
All market and lactating dairy animal exhibitors must attend a Quality Assurance Session within the State of Ohio in order to exhibit an animal at the Miami County Fair. The session must be conducted by a qualified instructor. Exhibitors ages 12-18 have the option to take a test given by a qualified instructor to test out of Quality Assurance.
There are two age groups: 12-14 year olds and 15-18 year olds (age as of January 1st). If youth test out when they are 12, 13, or 14, they will have to test again at age 15. Youth ages 15-18 who pass the QA test will test out of the annual QA program permanently.The test has 50 multiple-choice questions, and youth must score at least a 70% (35 out of 50). The test is given in two categories - large animals (sheep, beef, goats, swine, and dairy) and small animals (poultry and rabbits). If youth exhibit in both, they can choose which test to take. The testing will be held at the Miami County Fairgrounds in the Board Room on two dates:
- Thursday, February 27, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Registration deadline February 26. - CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER
- Saturday, February 29, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Registration deadline February 28.
- NEW DATE - Tuesday, March 10, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Registration deadline 12:00 p.m., March 10.
Youth must pre-register. Please pre-register at http://go.osu.edu/2020QATEST. Youth only get one chance to pass the test each year. Those who do not pass must attend a regular Quality Assurance session for the current year and then can return the next year to try the exam again. A study guide to help with test preparation can be found in the Livestock Resources section of the State 4-H website.
Quality Assurance Schedule
NEW: For our livestock project members and families, Ohio 4-H and the Ohio Department of Agriculture discussed some changes for this year that will help mitigate the effects the corona virus is having on holding in-person programming. For livestock quality assurance (QA) for the 2020 year only:
- QA must still be completed before the opening day of exhibition, however the 45-day prior to the opening of the exhibition requirement will not be enforced.
- Youth livestock exhibitors (8-18) may take the online YQCA certification.
Saturday, March 28, 10:00 a.m. - CANCELED
Saturday, March 28, 2:00 p.m. - CANCELED
Monday, April 13, 6:30 p.m. - CANCELED
Saturday, May 9, 10:00 a.m. - CANCELED
Saturday, May 9, 2:00 p.m. - CANCELED
yqca- ONLINE TEST OPTION
The Ohio State University’s College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CFAES) OSU Extension 4-H Youth Development program, in partnership with the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) and Youth for the Quality Care for Animals (YQCA), has endorsed the following option for youth who are officially enrolled in a 4-H and/or FFA livestock/food animal project.
Youth who intend to show their project animal(s) at exhibition (e.g., county or state fair) have the option to complete an on-line YQCA session. Certification is good for 1 year. The cost is $12.
Go to the following website to take the age-appropriate on-line module: https://yqca.learngrow.io/Acc
Click here for online YQCA instructions.
NEW FOR APRIL 2020
YQCA Web Based Certification – 25% Off Flash Sale!
NEW THIS YEAR FOR THE OHIO STATE FAIR
Youth entering a market swine project at the 2020 Ohio State Fair will be required to have a parent/guardian Pork Quality Assurance (PQA) certified in order to meet packer requirements. The PQA certification number will be required for online entry (deadline of June 20).
- Certification numbers will be verified, falsified numbers will result in penalty.
- Once notified of invalid number, exhibitors will have 5 days to provide the correct PQA certification number.
- If the correct PQA certification number is not provided within 5 days, exhibitor will be disqualified from exhibition.
There are several options for parents/guardians to be PQA certified:
- Adults can sign-up for the PQA on-line certification. Requests can be emailed to Elizabeth Share
1. The adult PQA certification is good for 3 years.
2. If a parent/guardian has several youth in the family, the same PQA number will count for all of the youth.
Requirements of Livestock Projects for Exhibition in Ohio Fairs
Reminder, if a youth would like to take a project to the Ohio State Fair that is not available in the county (i.e. Swine breeding), the youth must enroll in that project to be able to exhibit at the Ohio State Fair. For more information, check out the factsheet, “Requirements of Livestock Projects for Exhibition in Ohio Fairs”.